Thursday, December 6, 2007

Black Tie Nightmare

My husbands company is flying us out to their headquarters tomorrow for a Christmas party. The party is black tie optional and I am FREAKING out. Even though black tie is optional I don't feel like any of my dresses or skirts/tops qualify. So I went out in search of a dress that would be suitable. Now let me tell you I'm not exactly a size 2 or a size 8 or even a size 12 and I'm not the same size on the top and bottom so finding dresses is never a fun experience. My friend told me a black cocktail dress would be suitable so I found one. The only problem is there are quite a few lumps and bumps that I think look bad. So I found a body slimming garment and then because I am NOT well endowed, I looked at a push-up bra. In trying all these items on I was very uncomfortable and after I added up all of the prices, it was $150.00 which was even more uncomfortable!! Now I know that $150 for a black tie event is nothing, however, I have only been to one other black tie event and that was about 15 years ago so I don't want to spend $150 for one very uncomfortable night.

I have another friend who called me a few months ago asking if I had a black tie dress she could borrow so I called her. Her mom gave her a bunch of dresses so I'm heading over today to see if anything she has will work for me. Keep your fingers crossed for me - I surely am!!

1 comment:

Steph said...

How did the black-tie optional event turn out? did you find a dress or have to buy one? I HATE such events! The military has a social every year that is kind of a formal optional type thing. We have everything from the everyday skirt and top to the fanciest of prom dresses but I DREAD it every year!!