Friday, March 7, 2008

Thinking about marriage

A couple of days ago, Scott and I were having a conversation. It was one of those "I'm stalling because I don't want to go to bed" conversations. It got a little bit deep so I went along with it. I don't know what we were discussing but he asked what John would be like when he was a dad. With John's autism he has quite a few behavior issues and of course I don't know how he will be when he is older but for now I don't anticipate that he will marry. It took me a few tries to finally explain to Scott that John might be at a 5, 10 or 15 year old level for the rest of his life and those ages are too young to marry so he might not get married.

Scott seemed satisfied with the answer and then moved on to ask how old I thought he would be when he got married. What a question. I told him I was 28 when I got married but also mentioned other people he knows and the ages they were when they got married. He decided 22 would be a good age for him.

He then asked who he would marry. Where does he come up with this stuff? I told him I didn't meet his dad until I was 27 but there are some people who meet the person they will marry early in life. We then talked about some of the girls he knows now and he decided none of them were suitable candidates so he probably hasn't met his wife yet. What a relief.

He also thinks that when you kiss someone you get married. For now that is just fine with me.

1 comment:

Steph said...

that is so funny. It is so amazing the things kids come up with. Andrew is determined that he and Sammy will be married and they he will be the mom and she will be the dad. I've explained many times that you can't marry your siblings but he still thinks she is the only one for him.