Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Elevator Mishap

We are on our little get-away this week and we have been doing our best to have a good time despite my sickness and the Dad's work. We are staying at our timeshare that has nine floors and two levels of parking. Yesterday we got into the elevator and headed to the level one parking garage. We all got out and I glanced toward the elevator just in time to see it closing with John still inside. He must have been spacing out or something because he just stood there. He started screaming and I started pushing the elevator buttons trying to get the doors to open again. I was pushing the up button and the other two elevators came but not the one John was in. I had no idea what John would do. Would he stay in the elevator? I didn't think he would. Would he get out when the elevator stopped? I thought so. Where the elevator would stop was the question. There were nine floors!!! How in the world would I find him? Luckily the 'level headed' Dad said that Scott had accidentally pushed the button for the level 0 parking garage (boy, am I glad he did). If I would have pushed the down button the elevator John was in would have opened. Anyway, his elevator finally opened and of course he wasn't in it. I rode it down one level and ran into the parking garage to find him. He was running to the exit of the garage. I yelled for him and luckily he heard and turned around. If he would have made it to the exit he could have gone anywhere, to the middle of the street or to another building. I was very scared. I always say to people "he doesn't understand" and this is a perfect example of his lack of understanding. If he would have stayed in the elevator he would have been fine. Don't worry, this was a great learning experience for me. I am now the last person out of the elevator and I hold the doors just to make sure.

No comments: