Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I still love allowance, sort of

Scott has decided that John needs allowance. Let me tell you, John has no concept of money, never asks for money and never asks for items at the store. Money is just another toy to John. He throws it and rolls it under the kitchen appliances, so as far as I'm concerned, he does not need allowance. Scott just can't wrap his brain around that. John really likes Thomas the Train right now. We were at the store and we saw some Thomas cars and Scott decided that John would really enjoy having some of those. Now, I can't decide whether Scott wants the Thomas cars or if it is really selflessness on his part and would like to see John have something he would really enjoy.

Scott has decided to help John do chores so he can earn money. I think that is really great for John to be learning the importance of helping around the house and it's great for Scott to be learning patience as he teaches him. John does get distracted easily so finishing a task is monumental. Scott is determined! Once again, I can't decide whether Scott just wants John to do his jobs or if this is a selfless act.

Scott also wants John to earn at least three dollars a week so he can get the cars quickly. I think that is WAY excessive. I told Scott one dollar would be plenty and probably too much. He has come up with a payment scale. A small job is worth one dollar, medium worth two and big worth three. What ever job 'type' John does most of during the week determines his pay. Of course Scott ranks the size of the jobs.

So, is this just a great manipulation on Scott's part or is he just a loving brother looking out for John? I would hope it is the latter.

No comments: