Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What to do with food storage?

My story used to be: I went to the cannery and canned things that have sat in my storage waiting for when I needed them. Maybe that's your story too, maybe not. Now I have made a conscious effort to use what I have. I have canned my pinto beans and make refried beans with them (my husband thinks the store canned ones taste like dirt). I have to say that I'm still experimenting with refried recipes but I think I've almost got a good, simple recipe.

I have found a great recipe that uses wheat, powdered milk and honey and I have to share. You don't even need a wheat grinder for this recipe just a blender (not a mixer, a blender). By the way the cannery powdered milk is nasty if you just want to drink it as milk.

Whole Wheat Pancakes

1 c wheat
1 c water
1/3 c powdered milk

2 eggs
2 T honey or sugar
2 T oil
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

Blend wheat, water and powdered milk (1 c milk can be substituted for powdered milk and water) for 3 - 4 minutes until smooth. Add eggs, honey or sugar, oil baking powder and salt. Blend well.

My kids actually really like these pancakes and eat them for snacks.

Wheat is better than white and as you may know . . . we can use all the fiber we can get at our house.

No comments: